Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Week 11, Tue & Wed, Days 46 & 47

Finished up my last Biochem Lab today and learned that pretty much all the extra vitamin C I took in over the last week was being excreted each day.  In fact, I was only taking in 1,000 mg of vitamin C but my analysis showed that I was excreting more than 1000 mg, the actual number was 1,150 mg and another girl in our class who also took the extra vitamin C each day excreted 1,050 mg.  

The control subjects who didn't take any extra vitamin C still exctreted 79 mg of vitamin C and the average we were told ahead of time was about 50 mg of vitamin C are excreted each day via a normal diet.  

...now, what am I going to use for my psychological boost!?

I have another Anatomy test tomorrow - it's over two regions.  I pretty much know the muscles from region 14 but still have Region 15 to learn which is over the anterior forearm.  There are 8 muscles in that region and there's a minimum of 5 things to know about each muscle so I have a minimum of 40 things to learn about those muscles.  

The arteries in the arm are an entirely differnt matter.  It's fairly easy to learn and associate a single name of an artery like "brachial artery" which supplies blood to the biceps brachii but there is a fairly complicated network of arteries in the arm and we need to know how they all piece together.  

i know there are recurrent arteries which head back to the heart and the collateral arteries keep running distal from the heart

the whole concept of capilaries is rather amazing.  I was told the other day that you can't really go more than two cells in the human body without running into a capillary which, for those non-anatomy people out there - a capillary is where the red, oxygenated blood that runs through our arteries gives up it's oxygen and then switches over from arteries to veins.  

and ...for those of you who have visited my home and saw the paper I have taped to my front door ...well, those equations are exactly what happens when hemoglobin gives up it's oxygen in the capillaries.  At least, one of those equations is for that, the other equation is how hemoglobin gains oxygen in the lungs.

Good Stuff!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment