Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Day 32 - Hammers & Nails

I really don't have much time to blog tonight.  It's Wednesday night and I have 4 test over the next two days.  I'm hoping my midterm anatomy practical test turns out better than my written midterm in anatomy - I've really got my work cut out for me.  

One thing that's been going through my head is that when the only tool you have is a hammer - then everything starts looking like a nail.  That saying has more to do with the allopathic system of health care we have in this country ...health care, sick care, crisis intervention - whatever you want to call it.  bottom line is we can only fix issues with the tools we have available.  

Our philosophy teacher runs a full time chiropractic business and teaches only in the mornings for an hour each day.  Today he related a story about a patient who had numbness in the tips of his fingers.  Apparently this man has had the issue for 8 years and while his wife and daughter both received chiropractic care he was a bit too macho for such a thing but finally our teacher convinced him to try some treatment.  The teacher was figuring it might take a bit to get certain vertebrae straightened out but this time - a single treatment specifically focusing on the C5 cervical vertebrae removed the numbness from this guys fingers.  To me this makes sense because C5 is one of the vertebrea from which the brachial plexus emminates and heads down the arms.  If there is pressure on any of those nerves then there are certainly going to be issues.

What I found amazing was that the best this guys MD doctors could come up with for an explinaton had something to do with cholesterol levels or the mans cholesterol medication but, I guess that goes back to the tools we have at hand or perhaps the tools we are used to using becuase most general MDs I guess just aren't looking at the entire human body for answers but rather within the tools they have available and are used to using.  

I have to get to bed - test or not, i can't stay awake any longer.  I've got to make it two more days - I'll be getting up early tomorrow (I sure hope) and will continue this exciting ride then!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment