Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Wk 13, Days 55 & 56, Monday & Tuesday :)

Epistropheus - Axis (C2)
Only 9 more days of class until I'm done with Tri-1 at Logan.  Still getting crap about smoking.  It's kind of hard for me  to understand.  A major reason I wanted to go to school here was because I figured I would be forced to become a better person in order to complete the program and I also thought all the extra knowledge might actually help me quit smoking but indignation from the psychosymatic anti-smoking zealots is getting a bit old.  Maybe that combined with the extra pressure from the final few weeks of class are just getting to me.  

I've got too much going on this weekend and need to cut back on some things.  We're off school on Friday and Monday for Easter break but I'll still be in the cadaver lab Friday morning for Gross Anatomy tutoring (which, incidently is what I'm waiting for tonight - tutoring starts at 6 p.m.)  The cadaver lab is closed on Sunday due to Easter and we've only got until 1 p.m. on Monday for any final studying before our practical on Tuesday.  
Friday night is a Cardinal's Ballgame - Saturday I'm supposed to spend 6+ hours at St. Louis University undergoing test - Sunday is Easter at the Parent's neighbors - I know I can cancel testing on Saturday - Sunday I should be able to limit my time to maybe just eating - kind of bad timing on the baseball game - 

We've learned everything we're going to learn in Gross Anatomy 1 - lower extremities, back and upper extremities - 

Spinal Anatomy is rather detailed, we can literally spend hours talking about a single vertebrae.  We went over the 2nd cervical (C2) vertebrae the other day.  There are no less than 10 different muscle attachments on C2, four on the transverse processes and 6 on the spinous process which is kind of amazing because there isn't much of a spinous process there to begin with.  

Well, I just added a picture of the first two cervical vertebrae in case anyone is curious.

The muscles that attach to the transverse processes (sides of C2) are the
  1. levator scapula
  2. scalenus medius
  3. splenius cervicis
  4. intertransversarii
the muscles that attach to the spinous process (in the picture above, the spinous process is opposite the Dens)
  1. obliquis capitis inferior
  2. rectus capitis posterior major
  3. semispinalis cervicis
  4. spinalis cervicis
  5. interspinales
  6. multifidus
It's all rather amazing.  By the way, epistropheus is another name for the 2nd cervicle vertebrae (in addition to the Axis name)

final thoughts? - yeah - phosphoric acid in soda is triprotic but by the time it reaches the small intestines it's diprotic with a pH of about 7.2 - there are no federal taxes on sushi - blood pH is about 7.4 - starting tomorrow I have at least one test (sometimes 2) every day until April 22nd - 

No comments:

Post a Comment