Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tri-1, Wk14, Day 59 - WHEW!!!

After staying up until 4 a.m. I woke this morning wondering about having to retake Gross Anatomy I.  Like a lot of my classmates, we've been very concerned about this test but, after going over the answer key with my teacher in our afternoon Dry Lab Anatomy class, I do believe I probably ended up with a 70%!  Yahoo!  LOL

I know it doesn't seem like such a great score to get so excited about but, this is just one of 12 different classes and labs we get tested over.  Also, I was able to bring something to the table for about 98% of the test meaning I knew things about absolutely everything that was tagged.  We only have 60 seconds per question so time is a big factor as well.  A long thoracic nerve was tagged and I got it right but didn't have time to properly identify where it originated from so I thought it might have been a thoracodorsal artery but, fortunately in the last seconds of that question I was able to find the the subscapular and scapular circumflex arteries thereby eliminating the thoracodorsal artery as a possibility and got the question right ...but then I'm filling in my answer key during the start of the next question - it moves fast, that's for sure.  

Anyway - I'm pretty confident I'll do well on our written final in anatomy next Wednesday and I should NOT have to repeat this class and there are plenty of people that do repeat the class.  I may have mentioned but, everyone of my dissection partners who I share a cadaver with are all taking the class for the second time.  

Tonight - It's all about Spinal Anatomy - We have a take home test that is due tomorrow and I just found the darn thing around 4 a.m. this morning before I laid down for a couple hours of sleep before school today.  If I can get that test and the clay models of the Atlas and Axis vertebrae done by 9 p.m. then I'll have a full three hours I can devote to studying biochemistry yet tonight ...figuring I'll head to bed around midnight, unless of course I'm in a good study mode then I might be up as late as 4 a.m.  I bought a couple 12 packs of diet Wild Cherry Pepsi to help easily infuse a little extra caffeine in my system to make the late nights during these last 6 days more do-able.  

Our Gross Anatomy teacher already gave us a bit of a warning regarding Tri-2 and the gravity of the classes we'll be taking ...Pathology I, Gross Anatomy II, Biochemistry II, Neruoanatomy I and Microbiology I will make up five very hard core basic science classes - Micro, Neuro and Gross all have associated labs.  Beyond those classes, we'll also have Professional Development, Philosophy II and Diversified I.  Diversified is a basic and well accepted technique for chiropractic adjustment of the vertebrae.  Diversified will be a staple course from here until near the end of my tenure at Logan, maybe 2.5 years of perfecting that one adjustment technique alone.

Which ...kind of makes me wonder about reports put out by places such as Harvard Medical School which are just now starting to realize benefits of what they refer to as "spinal manipulation" and are now offering three day workshops on how to essentially, adjust the spine.  Obviously, 3 days doesn't compare to the amount of time chiropractors put in on learning their techniques but, I also see it as a positive thing that other health care professionals are starting to learn about the benefits of spinal adjustments.  

The last 10 years especially, have garnered much research into the science behind chiropractic adjustments and what's interesting is that most of chiropractors legacy studies have centered around the "outgoing" nerves eminating from the spinal cord figuring that interference with those nerves could cause problems in the rest of the body since the rest of the body wouldn't be receiving the best nervous signal possible, if at all.  But, research from the last 10 years is indicating that impingment with the signal coming back to the spinal cord maybe may actually be the bigger problem in terms of Vertebral Subluxation Complex.  

Picture!  The reason I picked today's picture is because the posterior scalene muscle was one of the structures tagged on today's test and nobody in class had seen that muscle yet because nobody had dissected it out from any of the bodies yet but, we did learn about it in class.  I am happy to announce that I did get that question correct!  :)

Initially, I figured it was a scalene muscle and was thinking it was the medial scalene muscle because I'd only seen a anterior and medail scalene muscle before but then I thought maybe it was posterior.  I knew the posterior scalene muscle inserted on the second rib so I tried running my finger down the muscle until I hit the rib, which I did but I wasn't sure if I was actually at the second rib or not.  Then I remembered the brachial plexus eminates from between the anterior and medial scalene muscles and the brachial plexus was easy to see so I kind of figured we had a posterior scalene muscle tagged.  :)

Incidently - the only reason I got that question correct, as well as a few other questions was because I'd purchased a copy of Acland's DVD Atlas of Human Anatomy - DVD 1: The Upper Extremity.  This is a fantastic set of DVDs which feature a real, unenbalmed body and does a great job of going through all the parts of the body from ligaments and joints to nerves and arteries.  That DVD was playing non-stop last night as I studied for this practical.  

Another very useful thing I would recommend for anyone heading off to chiro or any type of medical school is a 5ft, 6inch Budget Bucky painted skeleton.  These are available on ebay for around $240 plus shipping.  Half of the skeleton is painted with the traditional red for origin and blue marks for insertion for each muscle and it's pretty imperative that you have a skeleton for learning the origins and insertions.  

No comments:

Post a Comment