Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sunday Studies & Epignosis


I've started my Sundays studies with philosophy and was reviewing the concepts of gnosis and epignosis.  From what I can tell, gnosis is head knowledge or left-brain knowledge, it's what we would learn by rote from books and teachers.  Epignosis is heart knowledge or right brain knowledge.  Epignosis is what may happen to left-brain, head or book knowledge as (or if) it is integrated into our lives via deeper thought and experience.  

I've been aware of this transition occuring many times throughout my life as knowledge that was academically accepted as valid in my teens or 20's takes on new significance and meaning as I transcended into my 30's and 40's.  

This reminds me of the various erector spinae muscles in the back because some of those muscles may go from one vertebrae to the next while others jump several vertebrae.  Sometimes the jump from left to right brain is in the same year as new information is learned and sometimes it takes several years before experience and wisdom present themselves to make the leap into epignosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment