Saturday, February 28, 2009

Saturday Studying/Immersion :)

Before going home last night I went to the library and printed out around 500 sheets worth of powerpoint slides from Anatomy and have started to tape them all over my home.  Doors, hot water heater, walls, etc.  Soon, the sacroilliac joint will be as common place to me as the nose on my face.  

Our gross anatomy tutoring session got changed from 3 p.m. Sunday to 6 p.m. Saturday so I'll need to start getting ready for that soon.  I know all the muscles in the lower leg and foot and the nerves which innervate those muscles.  I need to brush up on the artery supply to each muscle.  I know the glutes pretty well and have a start on nerve innervention and artery supply.  I will be going to Denny's tonight to study with a classmate and work on all the origins and insertions - I'll need to pick up some bones from the library today so I can better understand exactly where everything inserts and originates from.  

I have a slew of test coming up next week - I'll have to check out the test board in our classroom today so I know exactly what's coming up - 

below is a blog i wrote for my fitness site to a lady who mentioned she suffered from chronic back pain.  I kept the blog factual and hope the suggestions can help provide some relief and help her eliminate some stress from her spine to help ease her pain.

...
Hi Joan - I'm a current chiropractic student and just wanted to share a few tid-bits worth of back facts that may be relevant or useful to you. whenever you lay horizontally and axial compressive forces are removed from your vertebrae then the intervatebral (IV) disc between your vertebrae fill back up with water. After about 5 hours these IV disc between your vertebrae are fully hydrated which is good on one hand but, on the other hand you should be aware that when they are filled up (as is the case after a good nights sleep) then the internal pressure in those disc is increased about 240% which makes a person vulnerable to "throwing a disc out of place" I put that in parenthesis because it isn't exactly what's going on but I think it gets my point across. With that extra internal pressure in your disc we want to avoid the combination of flexion and rotation of the vetebral column to avoid aggravating those disc. Which is to say, avoid bending forward at the waist and then twisting. If you take a shower first thing in the morning and need to bend over and reach across your body to grab the shampoo, for instance, that's the kind of movement you want to avoid immediately after waking up. I've thrown my back out more than once from that exact movement but never knew why before. The structure of your disc if very much like a jelly donut. The jelly in the middle of your disc is like the nucleus pulposis (NP) in your vertebrae and the dough part of the donut surrounding the jelly is like the membrane of the disc. However - the dough part of the donut is not symmetrical - it's thicker in the front and thinner towards the rear so, when we bend forward we press the NP back towards the weaker part of the disc. Anyway - the more you can bend your knees in the a.m. hours, the more your back will thank you. Also - when sitting in a chair, try to make sure your hips are a little higher than your knees. The optimal angle between your spine and the top of your thighs to reduce stress on your spine is about 135 degrees. I can also relate to a situation of carrying extra weight around the midsection. The curve in your lower back is called a lordosis (and you should also have a lordosis in the cervical region of your spine) but when there is extra weight anterior to the spine then the lordosis can be exaggerated which would also press the NP towards the posterior portion of the disc between your vertebrae. So, avoid bending forward at the waist and twisting (especially in the mornings) and try to sit in chairs which keep your hips slightly above your knees. Hopefully, GHF may assist in reducing anterior pressure on the spine by dropping a few pounds (still working on it myself) Best to you in health and happiness, Scott :)

No comments:

Post a Comment