Friday, February 13, 2009

Day 20 - Friday Feb 13, 2009

The following blog entry was copied from my Global-Health & Fitness Blog to help save myself some time from blogging and allow more time for studying :)

Sometimes people fall asleep in class but I was falling asleep during our break between classes on Friday. Since I had nowhere to sleep I figured the 2nd best thing I could do was to fit in whatever workout I could and try to bring myself back to life.

Once, I spent time doing landscaping work where I'd build retaining walls and paver driveways and patios which was the most physically exhausting job I'd ever done but I'm not sure if that ever wiped me out as much as school did this week. I once read a person's brain consumes 60-80 gm of carbs during sleep and I'm now wondering about the energy consumption of intense study and forced cerebral activity. I never knew working out the brain could be so taxing.

Fortunately, we've got a three day weekend and just woke up from 12 hours of recuperative sleep! :)

The machinery and engineering of the human body has been absolutely fascinating to me. The design is pure genius and the foot has been absolutely fascinating to study. There are 18 muscles in the bottom of the foot. Usually tendons connect muscle to bone but there are some exceptions in the foot where a tendon will connect muscle to the tendon of another muscle. The quadratus muscle found near the base of the foot attaches to the flexor digitorum longus (fdl) muscle which, as the name suggest, flexes the digits of the foot or the lateral four toes but the tendon of the fdl muscle enters the base of the foot along the side of the foot at about a 45 degree angle and that quadratus muscle can act to straighten out the pulling action of the fdl so the toes are not being pulled at an angle. The fdl tendon also acts as the origin for four lumbrical muscles in the foot.

I better get to studying, we've got four text next week then something obscene like 6 or 8 test the following week. It's Saturday today so I should be able to get another workout in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment