Thursday, February 5, 2009

Day 14 - Biochemistry is Amazing! :)

I haven't got a lot of time to blog today because I'm still studying for a Histology exam we have tomorrow but classes were great today.  I had Biochemistry, Spinal Analysis lecture, went to the B section prosection in Gross Anatomy, studied hard for the Anatomy test today (which I passed handily) and also had Cell biology.  

In biochem we're learning exactly how a person's blood plasma maintains it's pH levels which should be around 7.4

the main ways the body keeps everything in check is through respiration and renal excression.  
I know NH3 can combine with excess acid in the body (H+) to form NH4+ which gets excreted and a reason this happens is due to prolonged fast (such as when we sleep) or starving in general at any time.

I seem to think bicarbonate can be excreeted also, in case blood pH gets too low - my notes are at school in my locker so I'm just going by memory here - 

Anyway, back to studying!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment