Friday, March 12, 2010

TRI-4, Wk9, Day 241 - Thursday

I'm not quite sure what to make of the two midterms we had today but, if I had to sum them up in one word, that word might be "fun". :)

Our philosophy exam was something else - 80 questions! :)

Now, our teacher - who happens to be Dr. Montgomery, told us there would be about 10 questions relating to various chiropractic techniques and who invented them. He has a list compiled of about 170 different chiropractic techniques and I had flashcards made up which covered the first two of three & a half pages of techniques which, really only amounted to 40 cards since most of the techniques have the originators name in the technique and didn't need to be memorized. When I was studying those flashcards earlier in the wee, one of our Dean's list students commented that they weren't the thing to be studying and not to waste my time on them ...well, I should have just listened to what our teacher told us... It was an interesting exam. Dr. Montgomery is a brilliant teacher & chiropractor.

Over the last couple weeks we've had a few students bring in their brothers or sisters to sit in class with them and I can't help thinking that my Mom would enjoy sitting through our classes for a day. I especially think she would enjoy Dr. Montgomery's class.

That's something else I've noticed at Logan - if I have a test during our last class of the day and think I might be able to get some study time in during earlier classes I'm usually mistaken because the lectures tend to be rather interesting and it's almost hard not to pay attention to what's going on in class.

Fund Dx was a *really* interesting exam. The test were actually personalized for every student. Our class had to wait outside while Dr. Guebert laid out all our test then when we came back in the room he called out where each of our test were and we sat down in the seats accordingly. A few of the questions included our names such as "Dr. Dukowitz, you've just purchased an existing chiropractic business..."
Dr. Guebert is another genius at the school and I mean that rather literally and wouldn't be surprised if he was a member of Mensa. He has a no-nonsense type of teaching demeanor but with a good sense of humor and his classes are fun as well as extremely informative.

I'm guessing my grades for the two test today are in the B to C range... just checked - no grades posted yet :)

We've got two hours of physiology tomorrow. Fortunately, the rest of the class felt the same way I did about having our final before boards and overwhelmingly voted against taking our final exam early. We're just reviewing topics in that class but I have a very difficult time learning from the fast paced verbal only input. I'm not sure if I can get all my study guides together before the next class and may just bring a physio book to class to look at during class tomorrow.

Including Friday, we have 8 days before boards and 4 days of class. This Saturday is another review session by the teachers and I may end up going to this one. One thing I probably need to get done before boards is to call a few Departments of Professional regulation to get a list of laws pertaining to chiropractic.

Along with a few other students, I got an email from the VP of enrollment at Logan about making a video tape about why I chose Logan. I'd like to participate but the times available for taping (there were only two) conflicted with my classes & intern appointment. It got me thinking though of a guy I worked with at my last job who was a chiropractor but couldn't make it in the business. He didn't go to Logan. Then, I think of all the people I know that went to this school and how successful they have been.

We've got another Slice of Logan coming up the week after boards and I'd like to participate in that as well but I'm not sure what lies ahead regarding my classes.

Time to switch focus to final preparation for Part I, National Boards - Eight days to 660 questions. I'm looking forward to it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Scott

    I just came across your blog and enjoyed your thoughts and your apparent excitement for your new profession. Listen to your instructors, question, understand and learn about the Science, Philosophy and Art of chiropractic AND know that 90% of the negative "stuff" you hear about our profession is not true. After 41 years I still enjoy going to the office and helping people regain and maintain their health. FWB

    ReplyDelete