Friday, April 9, 2010

Tri-4, Wk13, Day 261 - Friday

I'm starting to realize that sleep & exercise play a vital role in my ability to learn & recall information. I didn't make it through a single 20 minute burst of studying last night due to lack of focus and being extremely tired so, I simply went to bed. I did however, wake up around 12:30 a.m. this morning and finally got out of bed by 1:30 a.m. and have been reading over my physio and NMS for the past couple of hours.

The importance of sleep was enunciated to me when I was able to recall something that I couldn't think of last night. Saltatory conduction is the means by which action potentials are propagated via myelinated nerves but, for the life of me I couldn't recall that simple fact last night. This morning, that information was just there.

Saltatory conduction also made me think of another static page I might add called "Meanings" or "what it means" because Saltatory comes from the Latin saltare which means to hop or leap and once you know that then the concept of saltatory conduction sticks a little better in the brain. :)

Geniculate means bent, like a knee
genu means knee

The popliteal fossa is the area on the back of our knee and arteries that run through that region are known as geniculate arteries. We also have lateral and geniculate bodies in our brain which are used for vision and hearing respectively.

I'm not sure why I'm going back to anatomy but, like my Dad keeps telling me, it will eventually all come together ...he's probably right, I just hope an appreciable number of things all come together by the time I graduate. Graduation - won't that be cool! :)

it's pushing 4 a.m. now so I better get moving. It's kind of odd that I haven't studied one iota for my Basic practical today but I do feel like I know the material. I think, at most, I may have missed one day of Basic due to some traffic congestion.

I think that's another reason this tri has been so much better than previous trimesters and that's because the main highway to school is reopened so it's literally much easier and quicker to get to school than it was in my first three trimesters. I've missed very few classes and any stress associated with my commute has probably dropped by a good 70%. I think that fact was very nicely illustrated a couple weeks ago when I saw one of my physicians and he got a blood pressure reading from me of 120/80. :)

No pic today - gotta get moving! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment