Saturday, August 14, 2010

TRI-5, Wk14, Days 329, 330, 331 - Wed, Thur, Fri

Let the odd sleep times begin! On Friday, we had 7:30 and 11:30 a.m. exams in Lab Dx & Basic III respectively. I don't remember when I fell asleep after getting home but I know I just woke up and it's 12:30 a.m. Saturday!

It looks like my first Final grade has been posted and I was able to raise my C (at midterm) in Laboratory Diagnosis from a C+ to a B! Yeehaw! :)

The Basic III final today kind of left me beaten & bloodied. I had a nice shiny B+ at midterm but I don't think I'll be left with that as a final grade. I thought I knew more or enough to do well in that test but hadn't brushed up on the x-ray marking and ended up falling asleep a couple times during the exam ....neither of which helped my grade, I'm sure.

Dr. Montgomery gave us a pretty cool final, it read kind of like a book or storyline in which you had to make decisions along the way in terms of answers to various questions and treatments for your patients. I could probably lament and reflect on that exam for a while but need to shift gears for our next upcoming exams.

Each day next week I have a bigger kind of exam along with a less significant one in terms of difficulty and/or need in terms of grade.

Monday is Dx Imaging at 9 a.m. and toxicology at 2 p.m. Dx Imaging is the most failed class of Trimester 5 but I managed a respectable C+ at Midterm and obviously would like to keep or maybe better that grade to a B if possible. The 2 p.m. test that day is Toxicology and even without the points of the final I've already managed pass the class. During the first three test in Toxicology I've missed less than one point per test and only need a 79% to get an A in that class. So, the focus for that day is Dx Imaging.

Tuesday is a little more crucial in terms of passing, especially with Physical Diagnosis, our 11:30 a.m exam. Our first exam that day is Radiographic positioning at 7:30 a.m. At Midterm I had a B+ and got an average of 97.5% on our Final Practical so, passing that class shouldn't be a problem ...keeping my B+ or getting better is much more of a challenge.

Wednesday is Diversified at 9 a.m. and Cardio Dx at 2. Again, I've already passed the Cardio Dx class and have to pass the diversified written final to pass that class.

Thursday is our Biomechanical final at 7:30 a.m. so, I'll just study all night if I have to for that exam and be done with the semester.

Physical Diagnosis is the 2nd most often failed class of Tri-5 and is proving to be a heck of a challenge for me. The studying for that class is a little different than I'm used to. The memorization is a little different and something I just have to get used to.

For Diagnostic Imaging (Dx Imag or Dx I) I'm going to upload photos to my Facebook account of different x-rays then tag some of my classmates to those pictures and hopefully a worthwhile dialogue for each picture will ensue.

Today's picture is the cover of the photo album I'm going to create on Facebook.

I somewhat regret that I haven't been able to share more interesting factoids about some of the things we've been learning this semester. One thing I'll share before getting back to studying is something I learned from Dr. Sanders in Lab Dx. He told us that the criteria for a surgery to be successful was to not leave the pt any worse off than when they started. So, nothing actually has to be fixed or corrected. Can you imagine if other businesses had the same criteria?

I guess it was a little more interesting when we heard about it in class with examples. Off to upload some skeletal pics now! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment