Monday, August 2, 2010

TRI-5, Wk12, Day 321 - Friday

It's 3:10 a.m. as I catch up on last Friday's blog. I'm studying anemia's for Monday's Lab Dx exam. I did get some reading done earlier in the weekend but also procrastinated and maybe avoided studying when I had the time but, I guess my brain is at a place where a break is needed every so often. I imagine as I improve I'll get better at doing things that are important but not quite so urgent.

I've been thinking about committing to knowing at least 1,000 things, maybe more, about all that I've been learning in school. So much comes at us and so much seems to slip by. I don't want to graduate and be stupid. Maybe I could look over some of my classes and pick out some of the more important things for each one and commit those things to memory. It shouldn't be too hard for a lot of things. I know there are 26 bones in the foot and I can name every one. I can pretty much name every bone in the human body ...
26 in each foot - 52 total
two tibias, fibulas, femers, say, four for the pelvis - that's 10 more for 62
24 vertebrae - 86
scapulas, two clavicals - 90
two humerus, two ulna, two radius - 96
8 carpal bones, 5 metacarpals, 14 phalanges in each hand, that's 27 times 2 or 54 plus the 96 (where's my calculator?) - 150 total
can't forget the hyoid bone - 151
in the face, we've got the mandible and maxila, 153
i guess the skull can be broken up into temporal (2), parietal (2), frontal (1) and occipital (1) which brings us up to 159
I think 206 is the average number of bones so maybe that total includes sesimoid bones and I'm not sure if the zygomatic arch is a seperate bone or not.
oh yeah - incus, stapes & da hammers ;)

another 6 for 165 total, that's 80%

(I'm now checking Wikipedia) :)
ok, there's 2 maxilla bones so, add one - 166
and yep, zygomatic is a separate bone and there's two of them so 168
I figured the facial bones is where I was lacking
2 palatine bones, 2 nasal, 2 lacrimal, vomer and 2 inferior nasal conchae - 177
i don't even remember that inferior nasal conchae to be honest with you ...
Dang! sternum - I should have had that one - 178
wow ...I forgot about the ribs ...ok, add another 24 - 202
Ah - cranial bones - sphenoid and ethmoid bone - 204

Well, that's pretty close - I'll leave it to the reader to find the two I missed (or where I added wrong)

besides the face, knowing those carpal bones in the wrist and the feet are kind of basic to know, especially as a chiropractor. I guess I should really know them all however.

Then there's stuff like Graves dz and Creatism which are hyper and hypo thyroidism, I tend to forget and get them confused with Cushings and Addison's dz (hyper & hypo cortisolism, respectively) I should at least know the basics of those diseases as easily as I know the colors red and blue.

For Lab Dx, I should know the normal values for common laboratory test.

I did peek ahead and learned we have 12 classes for Tri's 6 & 7. Also, our Minor Surgery Elective comes in Tri-8. There's also 16 different classes in Tri-8 .... hmmm

13 classes in Tri-9

Currently zero classes in Tri-10 but, I think that's mainly because of the clinic duties and I also think Logan is (or has) changed the curriculum to include a couple classes in Tri-10 by taking classes from an earlier trimester.

Better get back to anemias soon. I was wondering about the classes because I'm still not sure if I would mind becoming a mixed tri or not. A reduction in stress could be nice - guess I'll wait and see what happens. A mixed Tri just means a student spends two semesters to complete what's normally done in one semester but, since we're started from an accelerated program status, even breaking up a trimester is still a sizable load.

UPDATE!!! The patellas!!! knee caps - those are the last two bones - 206! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment