Friday, July 9, 2010

TRI-5, Wk9, Day 306 - Thursday

It's closing in on Friday, 2:30 a.m. and I was thinking of using this blog to help me with my final studies for the upcoming Physical Dx exam I've got in about 5 hours.

This physical dx class reminds me a lot of Dr. House from the tv show House, MD where, so often, he can tell what a pt has simply by looking at them. This upcoming test is over Skin & Nails ...

psoriasis tends to occur on the extensor surfaces of the body (knees & elbows) and causes pitting of the nails.
clubbing of the fingers tends to occur with conditions such as COPD or any other such hypoxia disorder.
Mee's Lines - transverse lines in the nails ...not to be confused with ...
Beau's Lines which are transverse depressions in the nails.
Xanthoma is a yellow outcropping of skin by the eyes.
Lichenification is excessive skin marking due to rubbing.
you say balding, I say Alopecia
Androgenetic is the most common cause of alopecia
a moth-eaten pattern of hair loss may be due to tertiary syphilis
onchyolysis is a painless separation of the nail from the nail bed
paronychia is inflammation of the proximal & lateral nail folds.

I'm thinking I can go with some simple word association by making up more flash cards on my FlashmyBrain.com software.

Today's picture shows an example of clubbing.

2 comments:

  1. this one now makes me want to remark.. falangies.... not fingers but falangies...ooo this is scary... yes I have been listening .. :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your phonetics are perfect Mom! :)
    this is one of those words that uses the ph to make the f sound so, it's phalanges.

    Phalanges refer to the bones in the fingers or toes. In the hand we'll use the word "carpal" and in the foot we use the word "tarsal". As in metacarpal or metatarsal bones. Or, like in the wrist, just carpal bones.

    ReplyDelete