Thursday, October 29, 2009

Tri-3, Wk8, day 167 - Thursday


OK - I've been home for about an hour and a half and just screwed around and had a bite to eat & now it's time to hit the books. For organizational purposes, I'll go ahead and summarize any classes I had yesterday that are different than I had today.

Today's Class Summary

1. Philosophy (2 hrs) - as far as things I need to do, we did get a handout on comparative listings and there are two sheets we need to have filled out by class next Wednesday. I'll have to put this on my white-board or it's unlikely I'll remember to get it done... honestly, I already forgot we got the handout until I did this summary.
OK - got it scheduled for Saturday at 10 a.m.

One thing I have learned is that if you have a choice of having your x-rays read by an MD or a DC then you'll probably be a lot better off going with the chiropractor. I think most DC's have about 10x the number of hours dealing with radiography than does an MD.

Really, that's a difference I wasn't aware of before going to school at Logan so it's a pretty safe bet that it's not very well known to the general public.

and, alternatively, if you have tuberculosis then I might know from Microbiology that isonicotinic acid & rifampin are treatment alternatives but, you'll be much better off going to an MD who really knows about that stuff.

2. Diversified Lab - Wednesday & Thursday
Well, here I have to be honest and admit that I made a judgement call and did not go to my diversified lab on Wednesday. However.... there were so many people who did NOT go that the teacher ended up cancelling the class. Still, I'll count this against my attendance grade for the week since I just happened to get lucky. Basically, we were all studying for our midterm in Basic which was the following hour.

3. Basic I - Wednesday
This was our midterm - I'll have to check and see if the grades are posted yet.
...nope - nothing is posted yet.

4. Physiology - Wednesday (2 hrs) & Thursday (1 hr)
Wow! have we covered a lot of material in the past two days. I've been getting a certain kind of feeling in that class this week that I wasn't able to quite place until today. I think it's that feeling you get just before you start crying. LOL

i forgot this blog was up here and just gave a little mock talk to a group of elderly people ....
I found a sheet of paper in my notes from a Professional Development class. We have to provide three hours of community service and I've already thought about talking to people at a nursing home and figured maybe that talking could be combined and qualify as a bit of community service...

yeah - there's a lot going on in physiology. On Wednesday, we completed the hypothalmus and pituitary then started (and finished) a presentation on the thyroid gland and then started a presentation on the Pineal Gland ...

The Pineal Gland is rather interesting. It's known as the "third eye" and in some animals where the pineal gland is located towards the top of their brains, the pineal gland is actually able to sense light and movement. It is this gland that is responsible for producing Melatonin which enhances sleep. This melatonin should not be confused with melanin which is for pigment production.

anyway, we have at least a half a dozen powerpoint presentations for our next test so I have GOT to spend time on physio everyday - I also have on my white board to make flashcards for pathology so I'll be sure to get to that as well.

5. Microbiology II - Lecture & Lab, (2 hrs)
Well, tuberculosis was on the agenda (that's how I knew about the treatment options) and Leprosy.
Remember that old song or rhyme,
"Ring around the rosy, pocket full of posey, ashes, ashes we all fall down"
That came from Small Pox.
The disease would leave a ring on it's victims and generally stunk so patients used to have poseys put in their pockets to keep from smelling so bad.

6. Orthopedics I Lab -
The teacher knew we had a big embryology test today so we got to leave after performing our orthopedics test with a fellow classmate.

7. Embryology -
Taken & I already have my grade! :)
I got a B on this test which isn't too shabby considering I didn't study the night before because of my long night's sleep. I had one or two bone headed mistakes but also got luck on one or two questions so I guess it evens out.
I passed the teacher in the hall and he asked what I got and I told him a B and he said that I would probably end up with an A in the class then.
THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC!!!!!
I'd say Embryo is probably the third most failed class in our current semester, behind Physio and Pathology.
I'm not sure why but the classes with the highest failure rates seem to be the ones I do the best in.

8. Public Health -
I know we got another handout today - 2 sheets - one page, front and back dealing with Milk and another page dealing with China. It looks like back in 2007, China executed a director of food & drug safety after being convicted of corruption. Tough country.
That article is from USA Today, Wednesday, July 11, 2007, page 11A in case anyone is interested.

That's it. I've got a ton of work to do and a heck of a lot of cleaning up and organizing to do. It looks like an explosion of papers on my desk after all these test.

I do want to keep clear and focused on my task for tonight.
1. Make out Flashcards for Chapter 3 of pathology using my Pathological Secrets book as a reference &
2. Get my Physiology organized and reviewed a bit.
for a 3rd item, I want to make sure I'm ready to go for tomorrow and will review each upcoming class.

Today's picture is of Mr. Zheng. It's the same picture from our Microbiology handout which cited his execution. I would like to mention one part of the article which stated that Zheng "was sentenced to death for accepting bribes (but) ...was given a two-year reprieve which usually means he can get life in prison if deemed to have reformed."

I guess I'm hoping he got reformed & is still alive.

1 comment:

  1. another WOW!!!! some very interesting facts once again... congrats on your embro test. :) i may not understand everything you blog about Scott, but.. i really do enjoy reading it all.. i have learned some very interesting things which in small amount i may retain .. ;).. it may be small but the "ring around the rosy" thing... i found very intersting.. also the info about the different glands, the 3rd on, (never knew that) not saying i understand every or anything very much about the other glands, just have heard a little more about them.. anyway truly enjoy!!! wishing you luck on all the other tests Love you.. :)

    ReplyDelete