Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Tri-3, Wk7, Day 160 - Tuesday

It's about 4 a.m. and, naturally, I haven't been to school yet but I was thinking of something I wanted to share and also figured I'd knock out a blog on time for a change.

In yesterday's blog, I had a picture of Dr. Montgomery and I remembered something he told us about in class. One patient he had was a 14 year old nationally ranked female gymnast who fell, straight down on her buttocks while on a balance beem. This pushed the pt's coccyx (most distal portion of the spine) forward. The pt went to two different MDs before finding Dr. Montgomery. The first MD told her, a 14 year old, that she would never be able to have kids. The second MD told her that they could cut the coccyx off! There is a part of the spinal cord called the filum terminale which happens to attach to the coccyx which was part of the reason I was stunned at the suggestion of cutting this piece out but, as I've said before, when the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts looking like a nail and drugs & surgery are the MDs main hammers.

Anyway, Dr. Montgomery performed a Basic technique on the girl. The pain started to subside after the first adjustment and after a couple weeks the girl was fine - once again able to have children and with coccyx in tact.

I also learned, this particular aspect of Basic is only taught in four chiropractic schools across the country.

Today's picture illustrates the spine and filum terminale.

1 comment: