Friday, December 10, 2010

Tri-6, Wk14 Day 397 - Friday :) ~ OSCE! ~

So far, so good. I'm still waiting on grades from the practical we took Tuesday although it seemed to go well ...you never know for sure until you see the final grade.

I am booked on patients for Tri-7. We're only allowed to have 3 patient request but, I got a 4th which is now on a waiting list and a 5th request from an upper tri intern who wanted to transfer a patient to me today.

As nice as that all is, I still need to get through finals then pass all the comp boards on Jan 13th. Even with Irene Gold Board reviews (National Boards as opposed to Comp Boards) I'll have a full 3 weeks off before Irene Gold starts on the 7th of Jan.

I'm not sure why (or how) I'm still up. I woke up at 6:30 yesterday afternoon and never got back to bed except for the 15 minutes I snuck in from 3:30 to 3:45 this morning.

OSCE

OSCE are the competency boards coming up. OSCE stands for Objective Structured Clinical Examination. From what I've learned so far, Medical Students take the USMLE (steps 1, 2 &3). USMLE stands for United States Medical Licensing Examination and it's quite identical to what we refer to in the chiropractic world as National Boards but, we say Parts 1, 2, 3 & 4 as opposed to Steps. Both the Medical and Chiropractic students take OSCE boards as part of their Part 2 National Boards (or USMLE Step 2 CS ) ...CS is for Clinical Skills.

Well, ...I'll continue figuring this out after my finals are over. I still have to get & pay $535 cash (Money Order) so I can take Part II as well as get an updated picture and have my application notorized and that's due this coming Tuesday.

We have 26 OSCE stations plus a written exam (general clinical knowledge I'm assuming) and a written examination with radiographs, in addition to those 26 stations and all that makes up the Competency Boards. I'll do that on Jan 13th.
In March, I'll spend one weekend testing to complete Part II of National Boards. Fortunately there's a lot of material so I can learn more about all this. I've also found some videos on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment