Thursday, June 2, 2011

Tri-8 Wk4 Day 476 - Thursday

PT III canceled this morning.
Still need to be to school by 9 a.m. to finish my mail duties from clinic.
If I didn't have outgoing mail duties yesterday at clinic I probably would have left.

Yesterday I learned PT - Physical Therapist are legally able to rate concussions in the state of Ohio however, Chiropractors are not - are you kidding me?! Are people really that stupid and ignorant when it comes to the education of a chiropractor?!

I pulled up the educational requirements for a DOCTORATE in Physical Therapy from Washington University, one of the most respected schools in the nation to see what kind of education PTs have in comparison to chiropractors. It looks like a very good program and I'm sure it produces some of the best PTs in the nation, probably the world but it's a far cry from the education of a chiropractor.
The program shows 4 entire semesters of Clinical Experience - kudos, this is a good thing.
However, when it comes to classroom learning the entire program consist of 5 semesters of classes. Only 19 hours of classes the first semester and a whopping 24 hours of classes the second semester. I've never had so few classes. I've been over 30 hours since my 2nd semester and currently juggle 35 hours *with* clinic! and we don't just have classes for 5 semesters - we have them for TEN semesters.

I'm not seeing anything in the way of hard core chemistry either - I don't see two years of chemistry and a year of physics as a prerequisite and I've not noticed either of those classes as requirements to become an RN either - another very highly regarded profession.

I don't see a year of biochemistry.

I do see one semester of human anatomy. At chiro school we have an entire YEARs worth of Gross Human anatomy which means we're dissecting the entire human body from head to toe.
I do see a couple of classes with the word "diagnosis" in them but not nearly as many dx classes as we've taken at Logan. We've have more diagnostic imaging diagnosis alone.

So, chiropractors have more than double the classes as a PT doctorate level program and yet we aren't capable of concussion assessments? Are you kidding me?

Jesus - in addition to that year of human dissection we spend another semester with the brains we've removed from our cadavers in another class called Neuroanatomy - and that's JUST the anatomy of the brain - we have other classes for pathology, normal function and neurology. Pathology - that's another class entirely missing from the PT program.

I'm not knocking the PT program - it's a great program and I'm half wondering how if I can get into the program - it takes less time and I'd have a good job waiting for me at the end.

Oh well - gotta get to school -
The first of two months worth of 5 day a week clinic duty starts today.
Something radical is going to have to take place to ensure my survival and I'm not even talking about just school survival anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment