Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tri-3, Wk3, Day 144 - Friday


I'm usually wiped out on Friday's hence, the waiting until Sunday night to enter my Friday blog. No complaints about productivity levels this weekend. I caught up on administrative sort of duties on Friday night then hit embryo for around 15 hours on Saturday. There was really a lot to do in that class and I'm not finished yet. Today (Sunday) the focus was on Pathology and a little bit of Physiology.

I've heard before that good dental health contributes to a lowered rate of heart disease and in physio the teacher commented that flossing can add 3-5 years to a persons life. He also said the particular bacterial flora we have in our mouth is more unique than a fingerprint. Interesting stuff.

In embryo I read more about some strange diseases and really, the embryo book is a little tough to look at sometimes with so many malformed infants and premature babies that never made it. I found it interesting that over 50% of all fertilized eggs end up being spontaneously aborted. I've already been amazed at how many things have to go right just to get a person anywhere close to normal but man - right out of the gate you've got less than a 50% chance of even getting past a little mass of cells.

One condition which afflicts about 1 out of 10,000 people is a complete reversal of their internal organs. Orthopedics was interesting last week. Like many of our teachers, our Ortho teacher also has a practice in addition to teaching. He mentioned a young female that came in and was experiencing abdominal pain and had previously concluded over $1,000.00worth of test to try and figure out what was wrong. The doc did a simple ortho test which mainly consisted of her breathing deeply and was able to diagnose a rib out of place. He fixed the rib and she was fine. No more pain. So, one test at a cost of $0 and $40 or so for the adjustment and she was finished. Path, Diversified, Embryo, Micro, Public Health seem to be the classes to keep getting prepped for.

Speaking of prepped - I better get ready for tomorrow! :)

oh yeah - today's pic is just the cover of some embryo book I found on the internet - We're a long way off from getting to the phase of development depicted in the picture :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I'm a chiropractic student at Life Chiropractic College West in Hayward. I've, over this past break from school, tried to set up a blog much along the same lines as yours. I googled "chiropractic student blog" and found your blog. I like the format of the web page for your blog. Can I ask you where or how or what format/software, whatever, that you're using? I've only skimmed through your content here, but when I have more time I'll read more. If you want to check out my blog, it's at http://chiropracticstudentblog.blogspot.com. Good luck!
    Christina Angelos

    ReplyDelete