Monday, May 17, 2010

TRI-5, Wk2, Day 273

So, what does Netflix have to do with chiro school? Well, for one thing it helped put off my studying for tonight since, with Netflix, I now have Pandora Internet radio streaming through my television. Pandora is smart, you tell it what you like then it plays more of the same. I originally started out by entering Carpenters and it's been playing golden oldies ever since. However, even more related to school, I can click on a button and Pandora will tell me why it's playing a certain song. For a song by Elton John it mentioned the song had a "mild rhythmic syncopation" I wasn't sure what that meant in music lingo but I remembered seeing the word Syncope in my cardiology reading; there it means fainting. In music, it refers to a shift of accent in a passage or composition ...then, I guess my attention deficit self had to check out the etymology of the word and found it dated back to c. 1400 from Latin and Greek meaning contraction of a word or cutting off. Per the heart I'm guessing this has something to do with cutting off SA node influence.

Toxicology! Here's another fascinating teacher that I'll never be as smart as by the time I graduate but, I use a baseball analogy to deal with this lack of intelligence quandary. I figure there's different levels of professional baseball and our teachers are in the major leagues with several Hall of Fame potentials. As a student, by the time we graduate we should be ready to play ball in one of the farm leagues, either single, double or AAA ball from which we can work our way up into the majors.
Marcus De Geer M.D., D.C. is our Toxicology teacher and apparently the name of the class will be changing to pharmacology in the near future. Dr. DeGeer started out as an M.D. which is a degree he obtained in Stockholm, Sweeden. In his own words, he hated med school, became a doctor, married an American lady, moved to America, went to Logan and became a Chiropractor in December of 2001. He's got a cool accent.

No comments:

Post a Comment