Thursday, September 30, 2010

T6, Wk4, Day 352 - My Friend Died ...

My friend and my neighbor died - same person. He died this past Saturday and I just found out tonight. They were watching my dog when I went to the Ozarks to study. When I got back late Sunday night, his wife had left me a note on the kitchen table letting me know something unexpected had suddenly come up and they had to leave. She left me a couple phone numbers to call her at and did underline the word "please" in the note, with reference to calling. It was about 1:30 a.m. when I got home and figured it was too late to call. They hadn't been home all week and I had a feeling someone in their family had probably died. I just didn't think it was Scott. He's my age, a few months older. We don't know what he died from and I heard an autopsy is being performed to determine the cause of death.

Scott had been trying to sell his truck and was going to buy a computer with the proceeds. Then we'd be able to IM each other when we wanted to "take a break" and meet outside to have a smoke or something. His daughter, Dianne, turned 10 this year and just started the 6th grade. Up until this grade, Scott always walked his daughter to school and always went to the school to walk home with her. She was just starting to walk home alone this grade.

I'd auscultated Scott's back to check on his lung condition, kind of wondered if i missed something or if there was something I could have found. I know I couldn't tell where the lungs ended because I wasn't able to detect a sound difference down past where the diaphragm should have been.

It's kind of a numb surreal night. I must have talked with the guy almost every night for as long as I've lived here. I'd show him all the new books I'd get for school each semester and he would always share his latest finds from various flea markets. One of his last discoveries was a set of Navy Uniforms from World War II. We were supposed to get his set up on ebay after he got his computer. I was sure he would be able to pick up my wireless internet so all he needed was the computer.

He also recently found an old movie projector with reels from the 1930's.

I just don't get it. I don't understand.

One thing that really kind of made me sad was ....for as long as he lived here and for all the pictures I take. I never got a picture of us together. I never thought of it so I don't have a picture to post. I'm guessing he might be in some random shot I took - I'm not sure.
You just never know.

Just had an old classmate die last month. She was a year younger, a runner, vegetarian and a wife with two kids - died of cancer.

I have a phys dx II exam tomorrow. I should probably call Nancy.

1 comment:

  1. I know it has been a while, but I'm sorry about your friend.

    M

    ReplyDelete