Saturday, March 20, 2010

TRI-4, Wk10, Day 247 - Saturday

If I have to be at school for classes or exams I count it as a day so, today is Day 247 due to Day one of National Boards, Part I.
In May it will have been two years since I quit my job to start at Logan. I still have anatomy powerpoints on my walls from classes I took in Tri-1. I guess it might not hurt to Review a bit while I'm blogging here.
SAD - that's how I'm remembering different joints in the body.

Synarthrodial - fixed, immovable
- Suture
- Gomphoses
- Synchondroses
Amphiarthrodal - slightly moveable
- Syndesmosis
- Symphyses
Diarthrodial - freely moveable
- Saddle, aka Sella
- Gliding,
- Hinge, aka Ginglymus
- Pivot, aka Trochlear
- Ellipsoid, aka Condyloid
- Ball & Socket, aka Spheroid

The mnemonic MOANER is how I'm remembering what comes from Nerual Plate embryologic cells
Macroglial
- Oligodendrocytes
- Astrocytes
Neurons of CNS
Epidymal
Retina Cells

Review the Brachial Plexus a bit but, I already knew that one pretty well.

For the Brachial Arches I know Arches 1, 2, 3 & 4 provide for Cranial Nerves 5, 7, 9 & 10 respectively then noticed a cross relationship in that those cranial nerves end up being both sensory and motor nerves in the body.
CN 3, 7, 9 & 10 are the parasympathetic nerves in the cervical region and, along w/ Sacral nerves S2, S3, S4 make up all the parasympathetic nerves in the body.

Regarding Geniculate bodies and Colliculus in the brain
Lateral Geniculate & Superior Colliculus go w/ the vision while
Medial Geniculate & inferiior Colliculus go w/ the auditory pathway

I believe the Middle Cerebral Artery is the location of most vascular accidents in the brain.

Come on Sofia! this is how I remember the different foramen (holes) that each of the cranial nerves pass through ....
Come - cribiform plate (olfactory n.)
On - Optic canal (optic n.)
Sofia - S.O.F. (superior orbital fissure) (occulomotor n.)
Sofia - S.O.F. (trochlear n.)
Sofia - S.O.F. (Trigeminal n.) (V1)
Sofia - S.O.F. (Abducens n.)
Im in a mood - Internal Auditory Meatus (Facial n.)
Im in a mood - Internal Auditory Meatus (Vestibulocochlear n.)
(for)
Jugs - Jugular Foramen (Glossopharyngeal n.)
Jugs - Jugular Foramen (Vagus n.)
Jugs - Jugular Foramen (Spinal Accessory n.)
Hey! - Hypoglossal canal (Hypoglossal n.)

CN V has three subdivisions, V1, V2 & V3 - V1 works well with the mnemonic - for V2, the maxillary division of the trigeminal nerve we have foramen rotundum and remember Rotate to the Max - for V3, we have the foramen ovale and remember, Oval Man

Speaking of foramens, we need to remember the embryological foramens which are temporary and go away after we're born - two have relationship to the heart and one for the liver -

Foramen Ovale - this is between the right and left atria of the heart - it fills in and becomes the fossa ovalis (foramen is a hole, fossa is a depression)
Ductus Arteriosus - this shunt bypasses the lungs as an embryo and becomes the ligamentum arteriosum
Ductus Venosum - This bypasses the liver and becomes the ligamentum venosum

I think I pretty well know lesions of the visual pathway and what kind of visual field affects can occur, this is mainly done by means of a quick drawing, a classic lesion would be known as a bitermporal hemianopsia which, isn't nearly as difficult to understand diagnosis when the words are broken down
bi - meaning both
temporal - we're talking about the temporal or lateral (outisde) fields of vision
hemi - that's 1/2! :)
anopsia - ya just can't see ;)
so, bitemporal hemianopsia means your field of vision is occluded off to the right and left sides.

Tel, Di, Mes, Met, My!
This has been a fun one and a lot of mileage can be gained from it.
we basically add "encephalon" to each of the Tel, Di, Mes, Met, My to get an early stage of embryological development in the brain
Tel - Telenchephalon - gives rise to the Forebrain
Di - Diencephalon - gives rise to the thalamus and all things thalamus as well as the pineal gland and posterior pituitary
Mes - Mesencephalon - Middle Brain or Mid-Brain -
Met - Metencephalon - Pons & Cerebellum
My - Myencephalon - Medulla Oblongata

Cranial nerves which relate to each section are as follows:
Tel - CN 1
Di - CN 2
Mes - CN 3, 4
Met - CN 5,6,7,8
My - CN 9, 10, 11, 12

That's a start anyway.

Something interesting about the 12 Cranial nerves - four of them - an entire 25% are dedicated to the eyes.
CN's 2, 3, 4 and 6 all devoted to the eyes. Very sensitive sensory nerves we have there.

For hearing, I think of SLIM -
after sound has traveled through the ear to the Cochlear Nucleus of CN VII, we have
S - Superior Olivary Nucleus
L - Lateral Lemniscus
I - Inferior Colliculus
M - Medial Geniculate body

I'm trying to remember from neuroanatomy but I also thought I used the acronym MILK but, maybe that was for the visual pathway -

OK - time to head out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment